Do you feel far from the Lord? You can pray for a closer relationship with God.
There are times we all feel far from God. It can be during seasons of change or transition. In these times, many of us drift away from getting in the Word or in personal prayer time.
For a closer relationship with God, get into the Word and pray!
Praying for a Closer Relationship with God
During Jesus’ time on earth, He would often pull away from the crowds to pray. He went off early in the morning to pray and spend time with the Father. This modeled how to have a closer relationship with God.
3 Examples from Jesus to Have a Closer Relationship with God
Perhaps you have been tired, exhausted, run-down, and feel empty. This could be why you feel far from God. Take a look at what Jesus did.
Jesus healed those who were sick and demon-possessed on the Sabbath evening. The crowds gathered around. As you can imagine, the emotional impact of this event was significant. He was likely exhausted.
What did He do?
- “Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed.”—Mark 1:35 (emphasis added)
He was moved with compassion when He saw the people were like lost “sheep not having a shepherd.” After teaching them, He fed them by miraculously turning five loaves and two fish into a meal that could feed five thousand. Again, He was likely weary from the time spent teaching and tending to those who were in need.
What did He do?
- “Immediately He made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, to Bethsaida, while He sent the multitude away. And when He had sent them away, He departed to the mountain to pray.”—Mark 6:45 (emphasis added)
When Jesus started His earthly ministry, He knew He needed to choose a group of men to teach and train. For His earthly ministry to be accomplished and the message of the Gospel to spread after His death and resurrection, it would take 12 apostles. He had some decisions to make.
What did He do?
- “Now it came to pass in those days that He went out to the mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God. And when it was day, He called His disciples to Himself; and from them He chose twelve whom He also named apostles:..”—Luke 6:13-14 (emphasis added)
From these examples and many others, we see that Jesus prayed before, during, and after events and when making decisions. Why?
Prayer connected Him to the Father. It allowed Him to hear God’s voice, know how to move forward, and live a life of thankfulness.
If we want a closer relationship with God, prayer is essential. The problem is sometimes we don’t know what to pray or how to start. Below are three prayers to help guide your prayer time.
Prayers to Help Get Closer to God When He Feels Far Away
Find scriptures that prepare your heart.
- “Search me, O God, and know my heart, try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”—Psalm 139:23-24
- “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.”—Psalm 51:10-11
“Father God, will you prepare my heart? Search me and know me. Reveal any anxieties and worries I have not given to you and lead me back to you. Cleanse my mind and my heart, Lord Jesus. Renew a steadfast spirit within me and draw me close to you. I know your Spirit dwells within me, and even when you feel far away, I know you are with me. Remind my soul of this truth, in Jesus’ name, amen.”
Find scriptures to remind you that God is close.
- “For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”—Romans 8:38-39
- “The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit.”—Psalm 34:18
- “The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth. He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He also will hear their cry and save them.”—Psalm 145:18-19
“Father God, Your Word says that nothing can separate me from your love. Thank you for never leaving or forsaking me! Your Word says when I call upon you, you hear me and save me. Lord, remind me of these truths today. I have a broken and contrite spirit, remind me that you are close to me through this season. Though you feel far away, you are close, in Jesus’ name, amen.”
Find scriptures that remind you of your identity.
- “… having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will…”—Ephesians 1:5
- “But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light…”—1 Peter 2:9
- “Let Your priests be clothed with righteousness, and let Your saints shout for joy.”—Psalm 132:9
- “And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.”—Revelation 19:8
“Father God, I am your child. Though you may feel far from me, I know no matter what happens, my identity as your child never changes. You have chosen me, and you call me a “royal priesthood!” Thank you, Jesus, that your work on the cross gives me an eternal identity. You have clothed me in a new, clean, and pure garment of salvation. As I remember my identity, I will praise your name forever, in Jesus’ name, amen.”
As you seek a closer relationship with God, spend time with Him and let Him know what is on your heart. He wants nothing more than to have a closer relationship with you. Want to know more about how to grow in your relationship with God? Take the Next Step to get started.