If you feel overwhelmed with worries, anxiety, fear of the unknown, or doubt and despair, know that you are not alone. God knows what you are going through, and He is ready and willing to help you overcome because He is more than able. To know how to pray life-changing prayers, you must dig into the Scripture and pray God’s Word.
Praying God’s Word releases peace and transforms your mind when you feel overwhelmed about things that feel out of your control. When you call upon God in prayer, He hears you and will provide answers. The key is to listen. He is a loving God and wants you to hear His voice..
If you want things to change, focus on God’s Word when praying life-changing prayers.
“Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and [a]mighty things, which you do not know.”–Jeremiah 33:3
You can learn how to pray life-changing prayers by looking at how Daniel prayed. Let's discover aspects of how Daniel prayed and the life-changing prayers he spoke.
5 Ways to Pray Life-Changing Prayers
- Understand and Boldly Speak God's Word
God's Word is powerful. When you believe it and speak it out in prayer, things begin to shift. When Daniel refused to obey the express command of King Darius, he was thrown into the lions' den. But since Daniel knew the Word of God, he wasn't shaken by the act. Rather, he held to God's Word, believing God would rescue him from the den. He had meaningful prayer life and applied God's Word because he believed it was…
- A manifestation of God's promise
- A direct conversation with God
- A form of praise in provoking God's intervention
- A privilege to use the Word
- Focused on the purpose that was set to deliver
So, no matter what you are going through, praying life-changing prayers using God's Word that applies to your situation will provoke God's intervention. God works according to His word, and He does not lie.
- “God is not a man, that He should lie…”–Numbers 23:19
You may be in a situation where you feel like you no longer have the hope to continue living. It could appear dark, but life-changing prayers begin with God's Word. It will light up your mind and give you hope again. Understand God's Word and pray according to it because God directs a prayer that He accepts.
- Know the Character of God
Daniel had complete confidence in who God was. He knew God was merciful and forgiving, even to those who rebelled against Him. Daniel called upon God’s greatness when praying life-changing prayers.
Here are some of the characteristics of God that will help you understand who God is and much He loves you.
God Is Great
He is a loving God whose greatness no one can fathom, and His covenant of love stands sure to a thousand generations for those who love and keep His commandment. He remains great and faithful and cannot deny Himself.
- “If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself.”–2 Timothy 2:13
God Is Awesome
God wants you to believe and call on Him in prayer no matter what you go through. Knowing that He is awesome, God gives you the confidence to call unto Him as you believe and trust Him to answer your prayers because His awesomeness never ends and never fails.
- “O God, You are more awesome than Your holy places. The God of Israel is He who gives strength and power to His people.”–Psalm 68:35
God Is Merciful
God does not condemn you. His arms are open to receive you when you turn back to Him, even when you feel you've gone astray. He is a merciful God no matter the wrong you've done. He pardons His people and hears prayers and cries for mercy.
- “But You, O Lord, are a God of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering and abundant in mercy and truth.”–Psalm 86:15
God Is Forgiving
Continue holding onto His promises knowing that you have a Father who forgives, loves, and cares for you. Daniel said that even though we have rebelled against God, He still forgives us.
We can return to Him and ask for help and forgiveness because He is faithful and forgiving.
- “To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, though we have rebelled against Him.”--Daniel 9:9
- Confess Sins to Pray Life-Changing Prayers
Jesus paid the penalty for your sins on the cross. Through Him, you are forgiven. When you confess your sins, you agree with God that what you did was wrong. This positions your heart with God, and you start seeing things the way God does.
Your prayer of confession and forgiveness of your sins aligns your heart and mind with God and puts on on a path to walk in the light, not darkness. The beauty of getting aligned and walking in righteousness is that God intervenes and changes your life.
Daniel confessed the sins of his people by agreeing with God that they departed from Him and did not heed the Word (Daniel 9:5-6).
When you confess, sin no longer has a hold on you, and this moves the heart of God to change your life and those you pray for.
It doesn't matter the sin you think you've committed. God doesn't condemn you.
This powerful and life-changing truth sets you free from sin when you confess. You have access to the throne of mercy, and God is gracious to forgive you.
- “There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.” –Romans 8:1
- Plead with God in Prayer
Daniel pleaded with God in prayer for him and his people. He didn’t give up, rather He cried out to God and asked for what he needed.
Don’t give up on life when going through challenging times. Rather than throwing in the town and coming into agreement with doubt and unbelief, plead and make petitions in prayer.
James understood this principle very well, which is why he encouraged people to pray and rebuked those who pursued the things of the world instead of trusting God and praying for His intervention.
- “O my God, incline Your ear and hear; open Your eyes and see our desolations, and the city which is called by Your name; for we do not present our supplications before You because of our righteous deeds, but because of Your great mercies. 19 O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and act! Do not delay for Your own sake, my God, for Your city and Your people are called by Your name.”–Daniel 9:18-19
Before you plead and petition to God in prayer, you must ensure your heart is aligned with God's Word and that you confess your sins and have a pure motive. You have to cry out to God in prayer and ask for what you need because He is the only one who can provide.
- Believe in Faith When You Pray
The final key in praying life-changing prayers is believing in faith. Faith activates prayer. A prayer of faith moves God to answer your supplications because it is impossible to please God without faith.
God wants you to depend on Him because He is the only one who can deliver on His promise. Prayer in the language of the dependent. Prayerlessness is the declaration of those who want to be independent. And, contrary to a worldview, God is not raising you to be independent. In fact, a mark of spiritual maturity is that you are growing in your dependency upon God.
So then, when you believe in faith, you are depending on God to come through, to answer your prayers. If you believe in the one you are dependent on, you will boldly pray life-changing prayers.
- “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.”–John 15:1-4
The Bottom Line
Praying life-changing prayers involves…
- Understanding and applying God's Word
- Knowing the character of God
- Confessing our sins
- Pleading with God
- Believing in faith that He has the power to answer
No matter the challenge you are going through, and trust that God provides for those who diligently seek Him. Spend time seeking Him today. Allow His Spirit to refresh your soul and cry out to Him in prayer.
Want more ways to fire up your prayer life and better understand God’s Word? Check out our FREE Daniel Bible Study here. Discover what current events are unfolding that line up with the biblical prophecies mentioned in the book of Daniel.